Ways of Meeting People
Around half of the estimated 15 million single Brits are looking for a long term relationship, but busy schedules often mean that people struggle to get out there and meet potential partners, with single people going on an average of just four dates a year.
However, there are loads of ways that you could meet your perfect partner or your new best friend.
Online dating agencies
If you are really serious about finding a partner then you should consider signing up to a dating agency.
Whether you're looking for friendship or just want to get back into the dating game, online dating websites are a great way of getting to know new people and checking out potential dates – without having to commit to meeting them.
Many internet dating agencies charge a monthly fee but you can usually get a month or so free, giving you time to check the site out and see if you think it will work for you.
A hobby or leisure pursuit that gets you out and about can be one of the most genuine ways to meet people. It is a relaxed and informal way to meet like-minded individuals and is great for people who feel uneasy about putting their affairs into the hands of a matchmaker.
Hot pursuits include art classes, language schools and sports clubs. Not only will you gain socially but you will learn a new skill or get in shape in the process. Check out your local community centre or night school for ideas.
Use your friends
Tell your friends that you are on the market. They may know a single co-worker that is perfect for you. Or get in touch with old friends using a social networking site and see if that gorgeous girl who sat in front of you in Geography class is single.
The lonely hearts column may appear old fashioned to some, but classified advertising is still effective for some and putting an ad in a newspaper or magazine is not such a bad idea. Putting yourself out there like that is a bold statement, so expect to receive some courageous responses in return. Although classifieds have changed since the "PO Box" method of the pre-mobile phone era, but the principal is still the same.
Remember to keep your wits about you if you plan to place an ad or respond to one. First, be honest with your description of yourself. If you are knee high to a grasshopper but claim to be a "blonde with endless legs", you're embellishment will be known as soon as you meet. Your date could be disappointed, plus dishonesty is never a good way to start a relationship.
When you arrange to meet do so at a public place and during the day, if possible. Tell a friend where you are going and whom you are meeting. And do not tell your date where you live until you can totally trust them.
Some telephone companies offer dating services where singletons can chat by calling a premium rate number. These are expensive and the people you talk to might not always be genuine singletons wanting to meet people. Remember to take your safety into account if you do decide to meet someone that you've met this way.
For more ideas about the dating scene why not take a look at our Dating sites.
- 25 guides are tagged with date
- 7 guides are tagged with dating service
- 240 guides are tagged with dating
- 39 guides are tagged with first date
- 13 guides are tagged with lifestyle
- 61 guides are tagged with relationships
- 8 guides are tagged with wedding
- 34 guides are tagged with online dating
- 15 guides are tagged with online dating search
- 16 guides are tagged with advice
- 18 guides are tagged with first date advice
- 12 guides are tagged with dating online
- 18 guides are tagged with relationship
- 12 guides are tagged with uk dating
- 49 guides are tagged with Dating Lifestyle
- 66 guides are tagged with dating advice
- 48 guides are tagged with dates
- 9 guides are tagged with romance
- 9 guides are tagged with uk online dating
- 50 guides are tagged with relationship advice