DVLA's Driving Licensing Online service
What You Need to Know
- You can make an online license application at any time and receive your license within a few days.
- You can use the service to apply for your first provisional license, change details on your current license, or renew or replace a license.
- If you have a digital passport, you can request that the DVLA use the image and signature from that on your license, saving you from having to send sensitive documents.
- When using the online service it is best to have the details you’ll need to complete the application to hand.
- The DVLA takes a number of steps to avoid fraudulent applications. As a result some online applications fail on the basis of not offering valid verification of the applicants identity.
More and more UK Drivers are choosing to use the DVLA’s online service when it comes to applying, replacing, updating, renewing or exchanging their driving licence.
The obvious major benefits of applying online are; its convenient, available 24/7 and once completed you get your licence sent to you a few days later!
The online service was first launched in May 2006, and since then the volume of online transactions has grown steadily and currently stands at around 30,000 transactions every week. To date more than 3 million drivers have applied for their licence via the online service. More than 1 million of these customers were updating their address details.
The biggest growth in take-up during 2009-10 was for customers aged 70 years and over wishing to renew their driving licence. Take-up amongst this customer base increased from 1% to 16 % and this was achieved by raising awareness of the online service to these customers.
There are 5 transactions currently available, but there are plans for more;
- Apply for a first provisional driving licence
- Change the address details on your driving licence free of charge
- Exchange a paper licence for a photocard licence for just £20
- Get a replacement if a licence has been lost, stolen, destroyed or defaced
- Apply for a free renewal of a driving licence if aged 70 or over
Additional benefits include;
- customers who hold a digital passport and are applying for a provisional licence, or exchanging a paper licence can give consent for DVLA to electronically transfer their image and signature from the Identity & Passport Service during their transaction. This avoids the need to send DVLA any sensitive documents such as their passport.
- customers who have had a licence issued through this service are able to check their driver record details (e.g. address, entitlements, endorsement expiry dates) online.
There are a minority of customers who are unable to fully complete their application online, and this is usually because:
- the customer failed to be fully verified and authenticated during their application. DVLA takes steps to protect the security of data and need to be sure that the customer is ’who they say they are’ to avoid fraudulent applications
- the customer has chosen not to allow DVLA to access and electronically transfer their passport image/signature from the Identity & Passport Service. This means they are required to send DVLA a photo and signature for use on their driving licence.
To help customers with their online application DVLA also provide links to helpful and informative video guides for each of the transactions;
DVLA is keen, however, to remind customers that they need to be prepared when transacting online and have certain things to hand – a payment card to pay the fee if required, current/previous address details and a valid UK passport for certain transactions (if they have one) – all of which is explained on the information pages before you start your transaction at www.direct.gov.uk/drivinglicence
- Read our guide to learn more about the process involved in getting a motorcycle license.
- Are gearing up to get your full license? Read our guide to the theory test.
- You can now avoid points on your license by attending driving school. Follow the link for details.
- 4 guides are tagged with cars
- 3 guides are tagged with road safety
- 2 guides are tagged with electric car specs
- 6 guides are tagged with car insurance
- 5 guides are tagged with car tax
- 3 guides are tagged with buy electric cars
- 8 guides are tagged with motoring advice
- 8 guides are tagged with motoring abroad
- 13 guides are tagged with motoring
- 2 guides are tagged with used car
- 3 guides are tagged with motor
- 4 guides are tagged with parking fines advice
- 4 guides are tagged with parking fines
- 3 guides are tagged with uk drivers
- 3 guides are tagged with car
- 2 guides are tagged with roadworks
- 4 guides are tagged with electric cars
- 8 guides are tagged with uk motoring
- 4 guides are tagged with electric car benefits
- 2 guides are tagged with speed cameras