A Guide to Switching Energy Suppliers
What You Need to Know
- Switching to a better energy deal using our comparison tool is a surprisingly simple process and will not affect the energy you will receive. Apart from customer service, the only thing that changes is the price
- Use our online form to enter details, such as your postcode, current supplier and payment method.
- Knowing your energy consumption will help us find you the best deals. If you don’t know it we can make accurate estimates based on the number of rooms and residents in your home.
- If you don’t want to change supplier you may be able to save money by moving to a dual fuel tariff, or by using a different payment method.
- Our results filter can be used to find the cheapest deals, the most environmentally friendly or the most long-term tariffs, depending on your needs.
- We provide customer reviews on our results table, ensuring you’ll be fully informed about the service you choose.
- Once you’ve found your ideal tariff, pressing the ‘continue’ button will allow you to start the switching process instantly. You’ll need personal information, your MPRN number (from your gas bill) and your bank details to hand.
These days making savings is vital. Switching energy suppliers is a great way to save money, but can be confusing. That’s why we’ve made things easier for you. Using our switching service you’ll be find a cheaper energy tariff in a few easy steps.
Enter the Details of your Postcode, Supplier, Energy Usage and Payment Method
These are all things that can help us save you money. If you are unsure about your energy usage, don’t worry. We can give you a good estimate based on the number of bedrooms and residents in your house.
Tell Us What You’re Looking For
We can arrange your results according a number of factors, including, price, tariff type and green credentials. So, whatever your priorities, you’ll be able to see which is the tariff for you.
If you’re unsure about anything, simply click the ‘learn more’ button to the right of the form.
Pick a Tariff
Once you’ve filled in the form, we’ll show you a table of the results matching your search.
At the top of the page the page you’ll see the provider which best suits you, the amount you’ll save and a ‘tariff details’ button. Clicking this gives you extra information about the tariff.
There are also three buttons at the top of the table, ‘gas and electricity price’, ‘gas prices only’ and ‘electricity prices only’. Clicking these will re-order the table to show you the best options for each scenario.
The table also contains links to customer reviews for all the tariffs available, allowing you to gain further insight into the deals that interests you.
To the right of the table you’ll see a ‘continue’ button next to each deal. You can use this to begin the process of switching.
At this stage you’ll need to provide details on your identity, address and employment and bank. You’ll also need your MPRN number. You can find this on your gas bill. If you do not have a bill, call Transco's Meter Helpline on 0870 608 1524 and ask them for it.
Once this is done you’ll be contacted with the details of when your energy will change to your new supplier. Bear in mind, this will make no difference to the energy you receive, just the name at the top of your bills and the amount at the bottom!
- Information on how to save money on your energy bills is provided by Ofgem, the gas and electricity watchdog.
- Consumer Focus offers independent advice on switching suppliers.
- The Citzens Advice Bureau can help if you are having trouble paying your energy bills.
- Read our guide to cutting your energy bills to learn quick and simple ways to lower your usage.
- If you want a better understanding of how electricity prices are determined, we have a guide for that too.